A garden water feature is a great addition to any outdoor space, offering texture and an attractive focal point. Whether you choose a small or large statue, they provide an elegant feature year-round with very low maintenance.
But nobody wants to sit in the garden looking at stagnant, unkept water features. In this article we’ll give you top tips for cleaning your water feature.
Step-by-step guide for cleaning a water feature
Follow our step-by-step guide to keeping your water feature clean, but note that many water features will come with manufacturer guidelines and these should always be followed.
- Turn off the water feature before starting to clean.
- Clean the pump according to the manufacturer’s guidelines. This will often involve using a small brush to clean off any algae or debris.
- Drain the water ready to clean the bowl/feature itself.
- Clean the water feature using a dedicated cleaning solution and a sponge, cloth, or a non-abrasive brush. A toothbrush is great for cleaning in the small gaps.
- After cleaning, rinse the water feature down using a hosepipe and then turn the feature back on. Enjoy your sparkling clean water feature.
Water Feature Cleaning Solutions
You can buy specific cleaning products for your water features, but if you don’t have any, there are other options. Mix a small amount of mild detergent in a bucket with warm water, or alternatively mix vinegar and warm water together in a spray bottle and spray this over the water feature.
Be careful not to get any detergent or cleaning solutions on surrounding flowers or plants as this could harm them.
The top tips to follow for keeping your water feature clean are:
- Change the water monthly.
- Keep the water feature out of the sunlight to prevent a build up of algae.
- Clean the filter regularly in line with manufacturer guidelines.
Looking after a water feature in winter
In winter, you may not use your water feature as much, but it’s still important to clean your water feature regularly to prevent algae. This also means that your water feature is ready to enjoy as soon as you get back out to enjoying your garden.
If the weather drops below freezing there is a chance your water feature could freeze over. To prevent this from happening, leave your water feature running and the flowing water should prevent the water from freezing.
Shop all water features for sale at Flora Select, and if you have any questions on our products, we’re always happy to help.